Mascot Books Rebrand

One of my most sought after projects, has always been a rebrand of some sort. I was lucky enough to be the designer on a project where my employer, Mascot Books, was taking on this challenge.

In the time I had worked with Mascot Books, I had seen the company double in size. We had to move to a larger office, we were creating new roles that weren't in use before, and we were launching new imprints that specialized in specific genres. It was an exciting time. However, upper management had felt that, like our old office, we had outgrown our logo. Our previous logo had been very bulky in weight, and we thought it didn't quite represent what the company had grown to become.

In the early stages, I conducted a lot of research. I looked into some highly successful rebrands as well as some that were not so successful. I tried to analyze what about those projects was working and what was not working. Many times in this brainstorm and research stage I would meet with our marketing team. I felt their expertise was incredibly valuable in setting up the foundation of this project.

After my initial research, I began to sketch out some ideas. And then I sketched some more. And then more after that, and so on. It was important to me try out every possible idea I had. Even if it wasn't my favorite visual thought, I had to get it out of my head and ensure there was nothing valuable that could be taken away from it. Then after selecting my favorite thumbnails, I brought them into the computer.

For a lot of my projects, my work truly comes to fruition when I'm building graphics in design software. And that couldn't be more true for this Mascot logo. My favorite idea was the one that you see on this page. We wanted the main focus to be on creating a versatile lettermark that could work as an icon in many ways. We would also experiment with the logo being used at a small size on the spine of a book, which is where our logo frequently appears. We used the typeface 'Jenson' for the base structure of this M. Additionally, we added lines in between the diagonal stems of a capital M. These lines were intended to represent the pages of a book with an abstract approach. We added more lines on the left side of the M, as a way to represent a good book that you couldn't put down, and are nearly finished.

On top of changing the actual mark, our company went for a completely new color theme as well. In our period of rapid growth, we began to make business/financial books our specialty. A switch to the color green would not only be suitable for the types of projects we were working on, but also the clients we were seeking.

My core job in this project was the design of the primary logo. And our CEO, Naren Aryal, expressed his gratitude for the research and hard work that I put into this project. Bringing ideas to life for our clients is fulfilling, but this project was much more than that. It was a project for the company I've come to be so very fond of.

M icon mark
2020 —
2014—2019
left arrow
BAD BOOK CLUB
stolen
right arrow